|Vertical rise||50.0 m|
|Inclined length||206.0 m|
The funicular in Lugano, which links the railroad station with the city center, originates from the year 1886 and is a key means of public transport. At the time, it was the first installation of its kind to incorporate an Abt passing loop. In fall 2016, Garaventa performed a complete overhaul of the installation and took charge of the project planning, engineering, delivery and installation of the entire electromechanical equipment as well as the cabins. Two funicular cabins bring up to 2,240 passengers an hour from the recently refurbished railroad station to the city center. The limited space along the historic route – which encompasses tunnels, bridges and a cathedral – was a particular challenge for this urban project.